Whether you are actively looking for a job or not. As a professional who is out to provide service, because for as an employee or as an entrepreneur, you are out to simply sell your skilled self in exchange for money, you need to take the bull by the horn and place yourself in the consciousness of people for the following reasons:
1. The opportunity to be called for jobs or business opportunities that are unadvertised. Sometimes, your expertise or services might be needed and because you have been right in the view of your target audience, they are quick to remember you.
2. An opportunity to be valued as a thought leader. When placing yourself consciously in the view of people especially online, be careful to be providing great content relevant to your work. This places you as the go to person for a particular subject matter.
3. Higher pay! Perception is everything. Sometimes, it might not be fair and it’s easily misrepresented as a form of narcissistic behavior. We tend to place a higher value on the visible guy who has been able to take narrative of his own story. Perception works like magic!
4. A source of inspiration and influence: you don’t have to know all, but as you have shared your story and allow your target audience to grow with you over time, you inspire and influence people to do more. Imagine the chain reaction of successes when everyone does MORE!
5. Networking: because you cannot meet as much people as you would like to meet and possibly form a physical relationship even at networking event. But with social media, you able to reach out to a whole lot of people that time and chance would not have! It cuts across the geographical barrier.
There are rules though!
– Don’t become pushy and salesy and in your face kind of person
– Always bring value. Don’t be that guy that sounds like a cat, you know: me, me, me!
So are you ready for an exciting life and career?
Bring on you’re A game!
Author: Abisoye “Faari” Akinola
Abisoye is an IT Professional and a Corporate Trainer by day, Mom & Wife on weekends and LinkedIn enthusiasts every other time.
She believes LinkedIn is the real deal to find and meet awesome professionals and thanks, Reid Hoffman for the Idea!
Your go-to girl when you need to brainstorm great ideas.
She helps bored mid-career professionals who need get to switch gear to the next level using personal branding and confidence as tools!
You can find sharing her daily wisdom on Instagram